New Leadership Delivering Results for Our Community
Vicki-Elaine Felder is known as a wordsmith and orator. She paints the power of words and ideas on the minds and canvas of those who hear her; especially her students. She possesses the versatility to reach for hidden potential found in all of her students. This serves as a testimony of her ability and her commitment as a champion for education.
Vicki-Elaine Felder is a lifelong resident who lives in the beautiful Washington Shores community in Orlando, Florida. She is a masterful teacher who has committed 39 impactful years in the classroom for Orange County Public Schools. Her unwavering service as an educator, includes teaching in the subject areas of Drama, Film Study as a Narrative, American Literature, British Literature and African American Literature respectively. Her teaching assignments included Dr. Phillips High School, Maynard Evans High School, Edgewater High School and Valencia College Summer Academic Program for accelerated students from Jones High School. Additionally, she has served as an English tutor for students from Edgewater High School for the Rollins College Upward Bound Program.
She is truly all things Orlando and Orange County Public Schools. Her education includes Eccleston and Washington Shores Elementary, Carver Middle School and the historic Jones High School. In addition, she holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Spelman College, and a Master of Arts degree in Speech and Theatre from Kansas State University. She has completed Post-Graduate work in English from the University of Central Florida and completed work in Cinema and Film Study as a Narrative from the TISCH School of the Arts at New York University. In the summer of 2020, she will receive a Master of Arts degree in Christian Ministry from the Bethune-Cookman University School of Religion.
Community Involvement Past and Present
· Orange County Citizens Review Board
· The Menellon Arts Board of Directors
· Volunteer/Instructor UCF McKnight Center for Excellence
· Grady-Rayam Negro Spiritual Foundation
· Children and Youth Services Board of Directors
· Classroom Teachers Association (CTA)
· Orlando MAGIC Community Advisory Board
· Valencia Community College Black Advisory Board
· State of Florida Affirmative Action Committee
· Former Committeewoman for the Democratic Caucus
· Circle of Friends Board for the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
· Member of the Orlando Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated
Achievements and Awards
· Invited to do research as a Fulbright-Hays Scholar on the art and architecture of India.
· First teacher from Dr. Phillips High School to represent the Center for International Studies Program in a summer teaching assignment in Taiwan.
· Educational Facilitator to South Africa in the township of Ganrankuwa in Pretoria. Assisted in the rebuilding of the educational communities after the historical election of Nelson Mandela as South Africa’s first black president.
· Drama Workshop Facilitator for the Dr. Bobby Jones Music Industry Retreat in South Florida.